- Last Updated: Wednesday, 07 February 2018 09:06
Job Title : Junior Scientific Officer - Microbiology/Epidemiology
Reference : EFSA/F/4/2018/01-23782304
To apply: https://efsa.contactrh.com/jobs/11584/23782304
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Parma 43126, IT
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum experience: 1-2 years
Duration : Undefined
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) is the keystone of European Union (EU) risk assessment regarding food and feed safety. In close collaboration with national authorities and in open consultation with its stakeholders, EFSA provides independent scientific advice and clear communication on existing and emerging risks.
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), based in Parma, Italy is looking for Junior Scientific Officer - Microbiology/Epidemiology (Contract Agent, Function Group IV)
Please send us your application by no later than 7 March 2018 at midnight (local time, GMT +1), on our career site.
We are looking for a motivated and talented scientist who will contribute to the work of EFSA through scientific expertise related primarily to foodborne zoonoses, foodborne outbreaks and molecular typing. The selected scientist could also be asked to contribute to the work in the area of food hygiene and antimicrobial resistance.
Your key responsibilities
* Contribute to the coordination of activities related to the assessment of foodborne outbreaks;
* Contribute to the coordination of mandates/procurement activities related to foodborne zoonoses, including antimicrobial resistance and molecular typing (including e.g. state of the art methods such as whole geno me sequencing);
* Contribute to the coordination of mandates/procurement activities related to food microbiology and food hygiene;
* Scientific coordination of Working Groups in the remit of the BIOCONTAM Unit or other Units, dealing with the areas mentioned above;
* Contribute to the preparation of scientific working documents;
* Contribute to the drafting of scientific and technical outputs in relation to the relevant areas;
* Organise and evaluate scientific information and data;
* Monitor of general scientific and regulatory developments related to the work of the involved Units;
* Internal communication: contribute to EFSA's horizontal activities and support other departments on matters related to microbiology and epidemiology;
* External communication: liaison with European Commission, ECDC and Member States.
Salary and benefits
EFSA can offer the selected candidate a contract of 5 years with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will be recruited as Contract Agent Function Group IV with the basic salary starting from € 3.404,15, subject to an annual review of remuneration provided for in Article 65(1) of the Staff Regulations.
You must satisfy the following requirements on the closing date for submission of your application:
*Be national of a Member State of the European Union, Iceland or Norway;
*Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
*Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by laws concerning military service;
*Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post;
*Have a thorough knowledge of one of the EU official languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language;
*Meet the character requirements for the duties involved.
A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma in one of the following fields: agronomy, biotechnology, biology, biochemistry, chemistry, ecology, environmental science, food science and technology, human medicine, life sciences, public health, toxicology, veterinary medicine or related areas.
In addit ion to the above, at least one year of relevant and proven professional experience gained after obtaining the diploma.
In case you do not fulfill all the eligibility criteria, your application will not be taken into consideration.
Experience and knowledge
i.Professional experience in at least one of the following topics:
* assessment of foodborne outbreaks;
* epidemiology of foodborne zoonoses at the pre-harvest and post-harvest level;
* foodborne zoonoses, including the areas of antimicrobial resistance, and molecular typing (incl. for example state of the art methods such as whole genome sequencing);
* food microbiology and food hygiene;
ii.Experience in providing scientific assistance and contributions to scientific bodies or working groups;
iii.Experience in drafting scientific and/or technical documents (e.g. peer reviewed scientific publications, reports, meeting minutes, project plans and reports, Guidance documents, policies and proc edures);
iv.Working experience in a multicultural environment, preferably with a multidisciplinary approach is considered an asset;
v.Knowledge of the EU framework in the area of foodborne outbreak detection and investigation is an asset.
vi.Knowledge in the area of next generation sequencing including whole genome sequencing is an asset.
i.Communication and English
ii.Working with others
iii.Analysis and problem solving
iv.Drive for Results
v.Resilience and composure
vi.Priority setting and planning