Hans Schlütter, born on the 20th January, 1913 in Haldern am Niederrhein, has served prominently in the advancement of the poultry industry. Following his studies in agriculture at Bonn and specialized studies in animal science he became Director of the Teaching and Research Centre for Poultry and Small Animals at Krefeld-Grosshüttenholf. His promotion to Doctor of Agriculture followed in 1953. The title of his thesis was "Methods of Recognizing and Combating Pullorum Bacteria".
In Krefeld he dedicated him self with all his strength to the reorganization of professional training in poultry science as well as practice-related research studies.
In 1955 the Agricultural Faculty of the University of Bonn appointed him to a teaching position in the Department of Animal Science/Small Animal Science.
In 1956 he became Consultant for Animal Science in the Ministry for Nutrition, Agriculture and Forestry of the Provence of Nordrhein-Westfalen in Düsseldorf. Following his election as Director of the Agricultural Chamber of the Rheinland in 1962 and appointment as State Secretary in the Agricultural Ministry in Düsseldorf in 1965, where he reorganized the provincial administration, he left government service.
He was elected President of the German Poultry Industry organization in 1967 and to the Presidency of the Federal Association of Poultry Processors in 1970. This was the beginning of a period in which he applied, with extraordinary success, his education, experience and contacts form improving the marketing, economics and productivity of the poultry industry. In this field, recognized for its modern production methods and requirement for high levels of management, he successfully established an organizational concentration at both regional and federal levels which made possible rapid responses to the market forces within the country, in the European Community and in the Third World.
The stabilization funds and the Dortmund Poultry Exhibition (Show) which through collaboration with the DLG became the "Huhn und Schwein" Exhibition (Show) in Hannover were his handiwork.
He strove energetically and constantly for standardized animal welfare regulations in the European Community and the member countries.
He was one of the co-founders of the German Branch of the WPSA in 1952 and led the Branch from 1974 to 1987 as President. He was a member of the Council of the WPSA from 1952 to 1987. When he left the office of President of the German Branch of the WPSA he was elected Honorary President of the German Branch. His remarkable contribution was in the continual coordination of science/practice consultation in the industry as well as in the advancement of scientific training and education. He made valuable inputs to the European Federation of the WPSA and brought numerous proposals to the World Congresses.
Nominated by Federal Republic of Germany