The Foundation for Promoting Poultry Science of the Netherlands Branch of the World’s Poultry Science Association has announced that the sixth group of awards will be presented at the XXV World’s Poultry Congress to be organized from September 5-9, 2016 in Beijing, China.
The awards are this time made in each of two categories – Education and Research - which form part of the wording on the WPSA logo. An internationally representative committee chosen by the Board of the Foundation for Promoting Poultry Science will decide on recipients. While it is anticipated that one award will be made in each category, this may vary depending on the number and quality of submissions.
WPSA Research Award
A WPSA Research Award will be presented at the XXV World’s Poultry Congress to an outstanding scientist in recognition of research achievement related to the poultry industry. Only those who have been members of the World’s Poultry Science Association for at least two years immediately preceding the Congress at which the award is made will be eligible. The award will consist of a suitably inscribed certificate or plaque and € 11 000 (currently about US$ 12 000).
The award will be made to a scientist who has made an outstanding contribution in his or her field and will be based on up to five publications in refereed journals. The papers need not all relate to the same research project but they must be in the same general area. The scientist must be the senior author in the case of papers with multiple authors.
Nominations for the award may only be made by a WPSA member. Offprints or copies of the papers (up to five) on which it is based should accompany the nomination (other relevant papers may be cited). The nomination document, which should not exceed 1000 words, should include:
- reasons for making the nomination;
- a brief biography of the scientist being nominated;
- plans for the utilization of that part of the award not given directly to the recipient. These plans must be in sufficient detail to enable the awards Committee to assess the nature and value of the research programme. Examples of eligible costs include the purchase of leasing of equipment and stipends for graduate students.
WPSA Education Award
A WPSA Education Award will be presented at the XXV World’s Poultry Congress to an individual or group who, in the view of the Awards Committee, has/have made a major contribution to poultry management education in a five year period immediately preceding a World’s Poultry Congress. Nominees (or leaders of groups in the case of joint nominations) must have been members of the World’s Poultry Science Association for at least two years immediately preceding the Congress at which the award is made. The award will consist of a suitably inscribed certificate or plaque and € 11 000 (currently about US$ 12 000).
Education will be interpreted liberally with achievement being represented by books, other publications, films, videos or the development of training programmes for poultry scientists, managers or workers. Nominations for the award may only be made by a WPSA member and should consist of:
- a description of the work, summarized in not more than 1000 words, which should give details of the educational project (including information on the target group or groups);
- a brief biography of the individual or group (max 1 page A4)
- an assessment of how much impact has been achieved;
- a clear indication of how the balance of the award would be applied to future educational activities. Examples might include publications, extension of courses, revision of videos etc., or entirely new initiatives.
The nominating document may be supported by additional items in the form of written or other work by the nominee/nominee group, but the nomination itself must be sufficient to stand-alone for evaluation by the Awards committee.
Nominations should be submitted to the WPSA Awards Committee at least six months before the start of the 2016 World’s Poultry Congress. The deadline for receipt of submissions will be March 1st, 2016. Please send nominations to: c/o Dr R.W.A.W. (Roel) Mulder, Secretary WPSA, PO Box 31, 7360 AA Beekbergen, The Netherlands, e-mail: .
To show how awards are utilized, those nominated must, if successful, undertake to present a report of their work at the next World’s Poultry Congress following the one at which the award was made.